Key West Maritime Historical Society Collection of Marine Paintings
U.S.S. WILLIAMSBURG was launched in 1930 as the private yacht ARAS. Acquired by the Navy in 1941, the vessel was converted to a gunboat and renamed U.S.S. WILLIAMSBURG. During the war, WILLIAMSBURG patrolled off the coast of Iceland escorting merchant vessels and transports, watching for enemy submarines, rescuing survivors and many other duties.
After the war, WILLIAMSBURG was converted to serve as Presidential Yacht for two presidents, Harry S. Truman and Dwight E. Eisenhower.
WILLIAMSBURG would accompany Pres. Truman on his many trips to Key West and served as the galley where all the food for the Little White House was prepared.
The ship had state of the art communication equipment which allowed the President to keep in touch with Washington and the world. WILLIAMSBURG also served as guest quarters for visitors and staff.
Decommissioned in 1953, the ship served as an oceanographic research vessel and in 1971 was a restaurant in Salem, N.J. In 1993 WILLIAMSBURG was transferred to Genoa, Italy to be converted to a luxury cruise ship. These plans were never realized and the historic ship has been sitting in the yard waiting to be rescued and restored.
Fine-art giclee print is available - email the artist for pricing.