Key West Maritime Historical Society Collection of Marine Paintings
CLIPPER SHIP STEPHEN R. MALLORY
Built in Key West for leading merchants Brown & Curry and launched in 1856, MALLORY was the only clipper ship built south of the Chesapeake. The ship was constructed of native woods of the Keys and south Florida. Mahogany was used for beams, knees, and timbers and the ship became known as “The Mahogany Clipper”. She cost $80,000…rather expensive for the time, but a clipper could pay for herself in one voyage. STEPHEN R. MALLORY was 164 ft. in length, with a beam of 35 ft. 9in., and draft of 20ft.
William Curry chose his brother-in-law, Graham Joseph Lester, to take command of the ship. Lester was 33 years old and a successful captain. He was to command the ship on many voyages from Key West, New Orleans, Charleston, New York, Liverpool and London. Even two trips around Cape Horn. One to San Francisco, the other to the ports of South America. The Civil War caused the owners to sell MALLORY in 1863 to the British and she sank in an Atlantic Gale in 1870.
Fine-art giclee print is available - email the artist for pricing.