Key West Maritime Historical Society Collection of Marine Paintings
MALLORY LINE STEAM SHIP LAMPASAS
C.H, Mallory began building Clipper Ships on the Connecticut shore in 1837 and operated them between America, the Far East, and Australia. During the Civil War, his ships were used as Union Transports and showed Mallory the opportunities of transportation by water between the major parts on the Eastern Seabord and the Gulf of Mexico. Mallory conceived the idea of establishing regular service between these ports. Galveston merchants and capitalists were very anxious for regular steamship service to the East Coast, so in 1865 the two came together to form the New York & Texas Steamship Line which later became the Mallory Line. From sailing ships to iron steamers to steel and diesel, the Mallory Line represents the development of the ship in America and what in important part they played in our past.
S.S. LAMPSAS - Launched in 1883
L.O.A. 329 ft. B. 45.5 ft., D. 21.5 ft., 2943 tons
This elegant ship had a long career carrying passengers and freight from New York, Key West, and Galveston until she was sold to Italian interests in 1924.
Fine-art giclee print is available - email the artist for pricing.